In 1936 a group of citizens organized the Stearns County Historical Society. In 1973 the organization began shaping itself into a professional Museum. Grants were received that allowed the new professional staff to formally catalog its artifacts, microfilm local publications and begin documenting local history.
In 1982 groundbreaking took place for the current facility. With exhibit galleries, research center, archives, children's playroom, museum store, and meeting rooms, this nationally accredited facility goes far beyond the vision held in those early days. We are quite sure the organizing committee could not have imagined the modern facility and large collections that exist today.