Stearns History Museum
Curator of Programs
Position Type: Full Time
Salary : DOQ
Reports to: Executive Director
About the Stearns History Museum
The Stearns County Historical Society (d.b.a.) Stearns History Museum is a place to learn, discover and discuss history. The Museum is connected to our community through public programs, publications and professional association. We are stewards of stories and protectors of the artifacts and archives that tell those stories. We engage audiences of all ages and welcome all to visit, learn, and explore.
Our museum galleries and research center are open 6 days per week. We operate year round. Programs are offered throughout the community according to school-year, festival and public program schedules. The Museum presents exhibits, programs and activities that educate, entertain, and inspire participants. The Stearns History Museum is the anchor of the City of St. Cloud’s Heritage Park, a 80-acre nature park with walking trails, abundant wildlife, and a skateboard park. There truly is something for everyone.
Primary Responsibilities: The Curator of Programs is a key member of the museum’s leadership team, responsible for the creative development and comprehensive implementation of the museum’s programs and public events. The Museum’s programs are delivered at the museum and throughout the Stearns County Community. The Curator of Programs is the leader of the public program team which includes staff and volunteers. The Curator of Programs should be self-motivated, enthusiastic about working with diverse audiences, and able to handle multiple projects at once. The Program Curator will work closely with the Exhibits/Collections Curator and the Archivist to ensure the delivery of high quality, engaging and innovative history programs that are grounded in historical research.
• Using the latest and most innovative museum and educational theory, conceive, develop and implement public programs including but not limited to family programs, history classes, exhibition education, lectures and discussions for audiences including families, adults, and school aged youth.
• Collaborate to deliver engaging and creative public programs with our community partners including but not limited to Stearns County, Sauk River Watershed District, the City of St. Cloud, Hikehoppers, and school districts in Stearns, Benton and Sherburne County.
• Evaluates program effectiveness and modifies programs according to evaluation results
• Establish annual and long term goals and objectives for museum programs that support the museum’s strategic and interpretive plans
• Must have budget skills to develop and monitor the department budget under the direction of the ED
• Assist Development staff and Executive Director with program grant writing
• Recruit, train and supervise volunteers and interns
• Promote programs through various outlets which may include but not limited to press releases, museum web site, social media outlets and radio and television promotion
• Communicate program information effectively and efficiently assuring that details regarding program offerings and program delivery is received by museum staff, volunteers and participants in a timely manner.
• Publish internal program calendar annually and monthly
• Performs other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
• Bachelor Degree in museum studies, history, education or related field, and 2-4 years of program experience, or equivalent experience in related program experience
• 2-4 years of program experience
• Excellent writing, speaking, project management and interpersonal skills
• Must have valid driver license, reliable vehicle and be willing to travel within the county
• Must be willing to work evenings and weekends
• Must be willing and able to work as team leader and as a member of team
• MA in Museum Studies or Education related field and 5+ years of experience or equivalent program experience
• Speaks and reads Spanish
Deadline to Apply: July 4, 2018
Please send cover letter, resume and list of 3 professional reference to:
Carie Essig, Executive Director
Stearns History Museum
235 33rd Avenue South
St. Cloud, MN 56301
Questions may be addressed to the Executive Director by email at firstname.lastname@example.org